Thursday, July 30, 2009

Lets Get Drunk and Be Somebody


Today I am channeling my inner red neck honkeytonk and I have Hank Thompson on my mind (sorry Toby Keith, but I don't like your version). Yep, I woke up with a song in my heart today hence the title of this post. Yes, today is the day that people all over the country have been looking forward to. That's right folks, today is Beer-fest. That's right, today is the day that all racial tensions will be eased; years of inequalities will be recognized; and, in an atmosphere conducive to much needed "teachable moments", all will be absolved.

Doesn't it make you feel good to wake up on this day? I don't know about you, but just knowing that things are going to be different after today brings joy to my heart. Yes, who knew the blending of barley and hops served cold by a man with the aplomb of an old school jazz musician would be such an important moment in our history. Just think, when today is all over and the last beer is served, all of this will be no more:

Hopefully when it's all over the word doesn't arrive late in the state of Texas prompting future Julyteenth celebrations. Yes folks, as of today racism will be a dead issue; and, we will have nobody to thank but this country's first Black president for making this possible. Now here's to hope that the family of Brandon McClelland who was hit and drug to death in the video above gets some form of reparations justice even if the rest of us Negroes do not. Maybe they can get a lifetime supply of beer compliments of Uncle Sam. Being Black however, I think they might settle for either Hennessy or Crown. Probably Crown, because you can never have enough of those velvety purple bags to stash loose change in.

God Bless America

Apture

wibiya widget

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails