Thursday, January 28, 2010

Chris Matthews on Obama's SOTU speech: "I forgot he was black for an hour"


I didn't watch the State of the Union address tonight. Instead, I listened to it. I purposely did that because I didn't want to be influenced by the opinions of the regular talking heads before the speech. I also didn't want be distracted by images of disgruntled republicans with fake smiles or any sort of visual reaction by anyone to what Obama had to say. I wanted to internalize the speech and form an opinion by just listening. I did however turn to MSNBC once it was over and I caught this:



Well Chris, I too forgot that he was black as well. Hell, if it wasn't for the fact that they played "Flash Light" by Parliament as Obama entered the building, I would have sworn he was just another asshole lying white politician. I think Chris Matthews' heart was in the right place in trying to express the fact that Obama has been around and visual enough that his race is overlooked. Unfortunately I think he was caught up in the moment and had a brain fart. From a white guys perspective I could understand why he would think that way; I really do. I'm just glad that he didn't make mention of Obama's ability to speak without a Negro dialect unless he chooses to.




QUESTION: So what did you think about the speech?

Apture

wibiya widget

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails