Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Al Sharpton vs. Tavis Smiley: Negroes arguing on the radio about Barack Obama, the 'Black Agenda', or the lack thereof

I just caught this recording of a conversation on Al Sharpton's radio program. I thought it was interesting exchange. I've actually listened to what Tavis Smiley said in his commentary on the Tom Joyner Morning Show as he did this morning. However, if what Tavis is saying is true, then I think Sharpton pretty much felt some type of way and came at him sideways as he did on the air in his defense. But from what Tavis said, and yes he did provide direct Sharpton quotes from the New York Times of what Sharpton said upon leaving the meeting at the White House. Sharpton obviously felt the need to take it in another direction, well, to make Tavis look the part of the opportunist. You know, something most people claim Sharpton to be?


I wrote about this meeting with Obama recently and yes, I was bothered somewhat by what was said to the press after the meeting by invited black leadership. It appeared to me as it has Tavis, that they all made sure to make the point to the press, that the meeting with Obama was not to be perceived as a "black thing".

Click to read Tavis' commentary.

Click to listen to Tavis' commentary.

Click to listen to Al Sharpton as he called in to TJMS.

Specifically, I thought Sharpton's attempt to justify his statement was weak, although I understand his point. I don't think Tavis "distorted" his comment from what I've heard and read. Oh well, I suppose this could be chalked up as another example of why "black leadership" cannot get their shit together. The problem as I see it, is that of bruised egos. Make no mistake, I'm of the belief that both of these men are relevant and necessary. And I say that with full knowledge that some of you may not agree with me. But I call it like I see it, and I think from the following audio, that Tavis Smiley was right. But of course, the simple mind would just chalk it up to Tavis being a hater because he wasn't invited to the meeting with the president; in truth, what he said was valid; and, he even had the quote as evidence to back what he said.

Check it out and tell me what you think.


Apture

wibiya widget

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails