Friday, May 7, 2010

The Tragic and Untold Story of The Somali Pirates


Last April, I wrote about my thoughts on the Somali pirates and the media hype surrounding their situation. I'd read that piracy was pumping some serious life blood into the coast of Somalia before, but in that very post, I linked to an article by Time that was eye-opening for me.

And the beat goes on...

I was hoping that more people would jump in, but it seems not a lot of people care. I'm not giving up on this because I always find media hype as it relates to minorities to be disingenious and misleading in many ways.

I'm not taking the bait on these guys, and I wasn't from day one. It takes some serious balls to go up against a tanker, and I don't think it's anyone's idea of a real good time, when they could be doing other things. But then I got to thinking... What else is there for them to do? It's not like we left them any fish or anything:
As soon as the government was gone, mysterious European ships started appearing off the coast of Somalia, dumping vast barrels into the ocean. The coastal population began to sicken. At first they suffered strange rashes, nausea and malformed babies. Then, after the 2005 tsunami, hundreds of the dumped and leaking barrels washed up on shore. People began to suffer from radiation sickness, and more than 300 died.
...
At the same time, other European ships have been looting Somalia's seas of their greatest resource: seafood.
I'm riding for the pirates because they've been robbed of a decent life, not just by their corrupt government, but by so-called First World countries insistent on pillaging the Somalian coast regardless of the well-being of the people of Somalia.

Of course, the media--and the world--gobbles it up and chucks it up to a case of "thieving negroes" who don't want to work for their own. How can they work for it, when they've been robbed of everything they could work for?

This is a perfect example of how ignorance among the masses can be the greatest tool a sinister operation, country or corporation used to continue the subhuman treatment of people of color.

Here's Mr. Hari's GREAT piece on the Somali pirates and the sad, yet untold, reality: Click here.

Apture

wibiya widget

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails