Friday, March 12, 2010

Pure F*ckery: According To Torii Hunter, Black Latinos Aren't Black!

"I'm not black anymore, compadres!"


As someone who considers herself a neo-immigrant here to the United States, I've always found that there is one thing that bridges the racial gap here in the United States is the collective spewing of vitriol towards immigrants.

African-Americans and Caucasian-Americans to see eye to eye on something, and it's usually disdain for immigrants. Real talk, I've seen it and experienced it. I find it annoying and confounding to be honest. I mean, aren't there better things to bond over?

The latest to engage in Pure F*ckery is baseball player Torii Hunter, who engages in a little bit of xenophobia and INTRA-racism.

"People see dark faces out there, and the perception is that they're African-American," Hunter told the USA Today. "They're not us. They're impostors. Even people I know come up and say, 'Hey, what color is Vladimir Guerrero? Is he a black player?' I say, 'Come on, he's Dominican. He's not black.' "

"As African-American players, we have a theory that baseball can go get an imitator and pass them off as us," Hunter added. "It's like they had to get some kind of dark faces, so they go to the Dominican or Venezuela because you can get them cheaper. It's like, 'Why should I get this kid from the South Side of Chicago and have Scott Boras represent him and pay him $5 million when you can get a Dominican guy for a bag of chips?' ...I'm telling you, it's sad." (Source)

Well, then folks, I guess I apologize for my time here and on HappyNappyHead.com. I guess, I'm not black at all. Fancy that!

*Mulls this over*

Hey, I'm not black!!! Sweet! Now, I'm going to find a race to stick to. I mean with my kinky, curly afro, full lips, high cheekbones, and button nose, I should be able to fit right in with white folks! Hell yeah! See you later, negroes!

*end sarcasm*

Seriously though, it's comments like these that continue to form rifts betwen African-Americans and their cousins from other countries. Not to say, they are the only ones who encourage these rifts. Trust me, I know it works both ways. However, let me make this clear. We (black immigrants from other countries) are not here to steal shit from you. We are not here to negate your time here or phase you out. You don't have to view us the way your white cousins view Mexicans. It's not a big deal.

And the comment about chips? Real classy, Torii.

Hunter went on to say that he was not being racist, but he was. It's called internal racism and that's exactly what I got from that comment. His own notions about how ass backward we are in our home countries is what inspired that "chips" comment.

Furthermore, how can ANYONE mistake a guy like, say, Sammy Sosa (before the whitening), or Wilkin Rosa for anything other than black?  He's darker than I am! If  Wilkin and Sammy ain't black (pre-fuckery) then I'm as white as porcelain.

We face or faced racism in our home countries, at times even worse than in the United States, because we have no one to protect us. Colorism is a huge problem which only makes matters worse. Yet, to some we're not black...

My advise to Torii is shut the ---- up and don't speak on matters you have no knowledge about. Chances are that if he were educated, he would've never made such a moronic comment. A "project" here pales in comparison to the shacks in bogs and swamps that I've seen in Panama, and guess who lives in them? There's no running water, there's most likely no electricity. They are the first to die in cholera or dengue fever outbreaks. Nobody gives a shit either.

This is not a pissing contest. I just want to remind people like Torii that we have a LOT in common, and can learn a lot from each other. I love my West-Indian people and culture to pieces, but the resilience of my African-American cousins, and their strength to endure their history in this country is awe-inspiring. I appreciate you because if it were not for you, I would not be able to be here. It's harder for a "negrita" like me to find work in Panama, but thanks to your efforts HERE in this country, this "negrita" is working here.

There's no need for the poison. We're here to help.

Check out this excellent article at Fanhouse.com roasting Hunter's lack of history.

Apture

wibiya widget

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails