Wednesday, August 19, 2009

I guess PETA has given up on Michael Vick and has moved on to fat women. Yup, let's save the whales.


I don't know, maybe I missed it, but did a big girl get caught-up in dog-fighting or something? I try to stay abreast of the latest news but I think I missed this one. Down in Jacksonville Florida PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) has launched a new ad campaign promoting veganism. Pictured above is one of their billboards with the caption: "Save The Whales, Lose The Blubber: Go Vegetarian."

Here's their press release:

A new PETA billboard campaign that was just launched in Jacksonville reminds people who are struggling to lose weight -- and who want to have enough energy to chase a beach ball -- that going vegetarian can be an effective way to shed those extra pounds that keep them from looking good in a bikini. [....]


Anyone wishing to achieve a hot "beach bod" is reminded that studies show that vegetarians are, on average, about 10 to 20 pounds lighter than meat-eaters. [...]

"Trying to hide your thunder thighs and balloon belly is no day at the beach," says PETA Executive Vice President Tracy Reiman. "PETA has a free 'Vegetarian Starter Kit' for people who want to lose pounds while eating as much as they like.[source]

Ouch! I gotta give it to them, they sure now how to get attention. Way to go being sensitive and empathetic towards women with image and weight issues. I guess as an organization you can get away with that sort of brutally honest advertisement campaign especially when you hire Playboy models scantily dressed in lettuce leaves to promote veganism. Which is actually funny because most of those women, usually get their start at Hooters serving hot wings with their titties hanging out.

I don't know if plus size women are going to rally together and protest PETA for the unethical treatment of "big-boneded women" (I hate when people use that term but it's better than fat chicks), but I think they should. I sincerely doubt whether this campaign will have any impact and I view it as just another publicity stunt. But hey, PETA pretty much makes life hard for people so why not protest them. Some women may find this sort of ad campaign to be quite sexist and exploitative. But hey, isn't this how our society works. Last time I checked sex still sells, no?

Apture

wibiya widget

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails