Monday, August 3, 2009

One reason why I love America: Lawsuits


There's probably one other country in this whole wide world that I love more than America. And that country would be the land of my birth Trinidad & Tobago. So yeah, I know you're probably thinking "Umm, why isn't your Black ass living there instead of here?" Well, I could answer than and give you many reasons. But for right now, I'll give you this one: jobless college graduate sues college for $70,000 she paid in tuition fees. See, this is one of the reasons I love America. In America you can buy coffee at McDonalds and spill it on your crotch as you're driving down the street while trying to send a dirty picture of your penis/vagina to lord knows who, and sue McDonalds for negligence. Yes, and not only can you sue your neighborhood dry cleaners for unsatisfactory service. You can also sue an institute of higher education for their failures as well.

"They have not tried hard enough to help me," the beleaguered Bronx resident wrote in her lawsuit, filed July 24 in Bronx Supreme Court.

Thompson's mother is proud of her daughter for completing her college education, but acknowledges Trina is upset that all her high hopes haven't panned out.

The mother and daughter live together, but Trina's mother, Carol, is a substitute teacher and the only one of the two who makes any money. They're barely scraping enough together to get by, reports the Post.

On top of her unemployment woes, Trina now faces mounting debt from student loans.

"This is not the way we want to live our life," her mom told the paper. "This is not what we planned."

Yup, people in America are all about justice, and so is this lady who wants her tuition money reimbursed. Yep, screw the jacked up economy, the current unemployment rate, or MC Hammer having a reality show. Yep, just cut the check dammit! Now why didn't think of that? I'm pretty sure my student loans would have been paid off by now if I did. Oh, my bad, I forgot: I was one of those Affirmative Action admits to Indiana University. Shucks!! Oh well, shit happens I guess. Hopefully Toni Clark - the 50yr old Black woman who graduated from college a few months ago after attending college while homeless and unemployed - doesn't have to do like this unfortunate victim of predatory higher education practices. It's going to be interesting to see how this turns out. Can you imagine college dropouts filing suit next?

Apture

wibiya widget

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails