Monday, August 17, 2009

Protesting Michael Vick's return to the NFL will not stop people in the far east, or the NFC East from eating dog meat - so why even waste time.

I mean seriously I wanna know why even waste time protesting. I don't know about you, but not only do I love NFL football, I love me some Chinese food. Yeah, I know it's probably just some ole stereotypical shit for me to suggest that Chinese people eat dog and cat meat. Yeah, and that probably makes me as racist as the next guy. But hey, I've watched Bizarre Foods with that Zimmerman dude on the Travel Channel, and it's true; they do eat dog meat in China and elsewhere in the far east. Considering we're indebted to China, there's no telling what they may be sneaking into our refrigerators [read this]. But I don't see anybody protesting Jackie Chan at Rush Hour movies. Jokes aside, if Vick was never allowed to return to the league there would be no protest, and dogs would still be euthanized at animal shelters.

Oh you didn't know that happens? Uh huh, it sure does. According to a study done by National Council on Pet Population Study and Policy back in 1997, 64% of animals in shelters are euthanized; yep, 56% of dogs and 71% of cats that enter shelters were euthanized. Yep, the animal shelter is sorta like the Auschwitz Concentration Camp of the animal world. Yep, they kill animals for whom a home cannot be found. But yet, they're protesting Michael Vick? Seems like they'd put forth the necessary energy into finding homes for these animals instead. Mike Vick is currently working with the Humane Society and being a part of the solution. And what are the protesters doing?

I guess you need a high profile celebrity as a target to gain attention to your cause. Yep, I get it now. And what better a profile than a Black man who was convicted of a crime. Oops, I mean a Black men who just so happens to be rich because White America has allowed it. Ok, so yeah, I know you're probably thinking that everything isn't racial, and that all Black men who go to prison isn't Nelson Mandela or Martin Luther King Jr.; yeah I know that's what you're thinking, and yes Vick deserved to be punished. But did the punishment fit the crime? Further, does he deserve all this negative attention even after he has been contrite? It's not like he's actually been channeling his inner Tupac Shakur and screaming f*ck the world now, has he?

The man has paid his debt to society, but I guess that's not good enough. Maybe I'm wrong, but I seriously doubt that if Brett Favre (the best quarterback to play the game; what, say something!) was convicted of the same crime there would be less hoopla. No joke, I really believe that. If Brett did that, I doubt he would have gotten prison time. He would have been given a light slap on the wrist for doing what the good ole boys do in the south. And you know why? Because he's not some poor kid from the ghetto who (was lucky to have White folks throw him millions; you know how they take care of their slaves these days) blew an opportunity to make millions. Having said that, now I understand what Vick means when he says that he now realizes that playing in the NFL is not a right but a privilege. Shit, Mike Vick killed some fighting dogs and did time in prison for it. People should stop acting like he ate them and let the man live.

Apture

wibiya widget

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails